Skip to main content

Inside Outside

With the latest installment of "Culture Wars: Restroom Mania", I've been thinking a lot about gender lately. I am interested in and a bit apprehensive about the societal and cultural impact of loosening the hitherto tight coupling between gender and the phenotypic expression of sex.

How much of our success in achieving a measure of civilization, for example, can be attributed to our traditionally strong commitment to a strictly binary interpretation of gender that is largely determined by the visible sex organs?

Today, when a baby is born, practically the first thing we do is to observe what is present between the child's legs. This mere observation sets in motion an immense and immensely complicated train of events and expectations that will affect the child profoundly in pretty much every aspect of life. I'm explicitly avoiding value judgements about this train of events and how it pertains to an individual.

Rather, what I am trying to come to grips with is the question of how (and whether) our culture can survive the switch to a much more fluid conception of gender (and sexuality). Gender is deeply woven into our legal, economic and social frameworks and is absolutely foundational to much of the culture we transmit from generation to generation. What does it mean to unwind these institutions to such an extent? What are the unintended consequences? Will we impose an unbearable cost on the many to confer a degree of freedom desired by a few? I don't know. And granted that there is much to cavil about in our Western world, there is no gainsaying that it has conferred many significant material benefits on humankind and we should be extremely circumspect about how we alter its foundation stones.

I am not referring to the shallow, silly traditions that make boys things blue and girl things pink. Nor am I alluding to the conception of gender roles as embodied in 1950s pop culture.

Rather I am concerned about our ability to cohere as a society when there is an infinite number of gender and sexuality buckets and one can move freely between them. It's all well and good that some few individuals' needs are better accommodated, but what are the effects on the second and third generations? How does this tendency affect the all-important activity of replenishing the race and raising children to be decent people? Is it fair and healthy to all children to bid them decide their own gender and pronoun?

Respecting the primary acquisition of language, there is a critical period during which a child must be exposed to language or else he or she will never be able to attain linguistic competency. To fail to endow a child with language during this timeframe is impose a life sentence of profound dysfunction on that individual.

Now the $64,000 question: is there a critical period for the acquisition of gender? By relegating to children the responsibility of deciding their own gender, are we doing them a terrible disservice? More to the point, are we deferring that decision in such a way as to miss a critical developmental window and thus similarly condemning the child to a lifetime of profound dysfunction?

We do not know the answer to any of these questions. And much rides on our getting it right. The effects of imposing gender fluidity on language are profound, awkward and messy. I expect it will be the same on our other cultural and social institutions. We should be very, very careful and proceed with glacial slowness in this area.

With all that said, I think the notion of privilege can be very helpful in this space. By pointing out to people that they're merely fortunate that their gender matches their sex and not "correct", we solve two problems. First it makes it a lot easier for people's reaction to non-traditional gender assignment to be compassionate rather than judgmental. And second, it provides for people with gender dysphoria to be just different instead of broken. That makes a big difference for those who don't draw a winning ticket in the demographic lottery.

Comments

Ian Sunshine said…
Well said. I agree the question of an appropriate age for an individual to make a conscious desician about their gender is crucial. Too early and childish whims become lifelong problems, and too late, the individual also suffers psychological damage. Of course, each individual is different as well, so that timing will vary. The bathroom situation is problematic. My personal tastes and ideas aside, a transgender person working with me, or on the bus really doesn't affect me. In a bathroom or locker room is a different story. One side will have to concede their level of comfort, if not their ideals to reach a path forward.
Ian Sunshine said…
Well said. I agree the question of an appropriate age for an individual to make a conscious desician about their gender is crucial. Too early and childish whims become lifelong problems, and too late, the individual also suffers psychological damage. Of course, each individual is different as well, so that timing will vary. The bathroom situation is problematic. My personal tastes and ideas aside, a transgender person working with me, or on the bus really doesn't affect me. In a bathroom or locker room is a different story. One side will have to concede their level of comfort, if not their ideals to reach a path forward.

Popular posts from this blog

The North-going Zax and the South-going Zax

Yesterday, I was on my lunch time walk and had an interesting experience. It lasted perhaps less than 2 seconds and yet I've been thinking about it on and off ever since. I was trundling along at my usual brisk pace, on the right-hand side of the path. A few yards off, I spied a man walking toward me on my side of the sidewalk, two trains heading toward each other on the same track. As we grew closer, I instinctively hugged the right-hand margin a little closer and he did the same. When it became clear that we were on a collision course, the image of the old Dr. Seuss story about the North-going Zax and the South-going Zax popped into my head. In the story, the two Zaxes meet and stand there for years, each too stubborn to give way to the other, while a city grows up around them. For about a quarter of a second, I contemplated such a pissing contest and realized that such a course of action did not advance my goal of getting back to work in time for my 2:00 meeting. So I swerve

Comments on Paradox: On Ownership

It's funny, but not not surprising, that we seem to have had some similar life experiences. The notion of ownership has been very transformative in my life, too. I can clearly recall several instances of what some might call an epiphany, where I experienced an overwhelming realization of ownership. These instances were all similar -- a sudden certainty, like a light turning on, that I was in the right place at the right time doing the right thing for the right reasons; and the not-unpleasant sensation of a new weight of responsibility settling on my shoulders, a weight I was comfortably able to bear. For the longest time, I had no word to describe these experiences, but I have come to view them as taking ownership. These experiences, and the habit of ownership that arose from them, have been very instrumental in any successes I have experienced in my life. Every religion on the planet is probably eager to offer an interpretation of these experiences -- to frame them in the phraseol