Skip to main content

Comments on Paradox: On Ownership

It's funny, but not not surprising, that we seem to have had some similar life experiences. The notion of ownership has been very transformative in my life, too. I can clearly recall several instances of what some might call an epiphany, where I experienced an overwhelming realization of ownership. These instances were all similar -- a sudden certainty, like a light turning on, that I was in the right place at the right time doing the right thing for the right reasons; and the not-unpleasant sensation of a new weight of responsibility settling on my shoulders, a weight I was comfortably able to bear. For the longest time, I had no word to describe these experiences, but I have come to view them as taking ownership. These experiences, and the habit of ownership that arose from them, have been very instrumental in any successes I have experienced in my life.

Every religion on the planet is probably eager to offer an interpretation of these experiences -- to frame them in the phraseology of its doctrines and mythologies. And I'm sure that you'll at least be tempted to interpret them in the context of NE. I will say that I've always been curious about the inner workings of the cosmos, and I would be glad to understand more deeply what's going on beyond the range of our limited senses. When faced with a decision, I often find myself wondering what would be the best outcome for the cosmos as a whole. But having awoken from the sleep of one belief system, mormonism, I am extremely averse to adopting any interpretation of events that cannot be grounded in the demonstrable, testable, falsifiable methods of science.

I have met several religious people who deride this attitude as "scientism." And they are right to criticize our overuse and misuse of reductionism in trying to understand the cosmos. Nevertheless, I strongly feel that the interpretive frameworks of religious, political, and -yes- philosophical ideologies carry risks that often outweigh the beneficial aspects of their claims. So I'm perfectly happy sticking with "I don't know" until I actually do "know." I try to bypass "I believe" altogether. And even then, I like to put an asterisk on "know*."

*provisionally

The risk that leaps out at me from your worldview, where you are the capital-C Creator of Everything, is that it would be extremely easy to mistake the desires and perceptions of your neurochemical makeup for what is "best." The older I get, the more acutely aware I become that everything is like a complex sculpture that you can't really understand until you view it from many angles. Our ideological commitments often have the tendency to lock us into viewing things from one particular, narrow angle. And so we come up with interpretations and solutions that make sense from that one angle, but that can wreak seven shades of havoc in every other direction.

Let me cite an example related to your text: diabetes. I'm also at genetic risk of that condition. If you view type II diabetes only as a blood sugar problem, then your focus is entirely on reducing blood sugar. If you're a doctor, you know that insulin reduces blood sugar, so you administer insulin. The problem is that to interpret type II diabetes as fundamentally a blood sugar problem is to ignore, or to be ignorant of the fact that type II diabetes is not a problem of too little insulin, but of too much. It is the condition of insulin resistance, and the proper treatment is to keep insulin levels as low as possible for as long as possible each day so that the body has time to process the vast oversupply of glucose that our carbohydrate-heavy diets constantly flood it with. Or better yet, reduce the intake of sugar and other carbs to a very low level all the time.

To understand and to cure the condition of type II diabetes, you have to have viewed it from more than just the perspective of the symptom of high blood sugar. If you do not, the treatment you apply -- administering insulin -- while it does lower the marker you're myopically focused on, ends up inflicting terrible damage on the organism as a whole. But the religious devotion to the gospel of Our Lady of Lowering Blood Sugar just keeps pouring gasoline on the already roaring fire of insulin resistance.

So, to bring this rant back around to the original point, when you interpret the notion of ownership in the context of being the Creator of Everything, it gives me the willies to contemplate what evil might not spring forth out of the mind of a powerful person in the thrall of a harmful ideology "owning" an interpretation of the world that seems good from the one peculiar angle of his worldview, but is tragically deleterious in the larger context. 

If you haven't already deduced it, I consider that viewing the cosmos through the very Buddhist lens of Nothing and Everything, as you describe it in Paradox, carries with it the real risk of nudging one toward both nihilism and fatalism. Obviously, you find that it has benefits for you, and I can totally understand that viewpoint. But as I feel with all ideological lenses, I hope that you can carry it lightly, and retain the ability to hold it at arm's length so that you do not mistake that worldview for the world, and thereby become blind to its optical distortions -- that is, its risks and costs.

Comments

Jim Bond said…
Mark, I appreciate your thoughtful and insightful review of the ownership section of Paradox - Existence Unveiled. I think we both agree that ownership can entail both positive and negative feelings, depending on perspective. As mentioned early in the book, understanding NE doesn't lead to nihilism. Quite the opposite, it leads one to omnism through the understanding of the basis of existence - Nothing. Regarding the prospect of diabetes, I've been lucky avoid it so far and hope to continue keeping it at bay through diet and exercise. If it does catch up with me (I'm still a sucker for rum and Coke), it'll be another possibility realized in a spacetime continuum of infinite possibilities. That's what I call extreme ownership - practiced by all MoE, but only a slim margin of wider humanity. In the end, we're all Creators masters of existence at some spacetime location. By existing, we (matter, spacetime and occurences) are committed to every combination of what would be. It's okay to say you don't know something. It's difficult for most to admit it. This leads those who solve the riddles of the physical world (scientifically-minded people) to great successes and ownership of this pin drop oasis. You seem to be one of these great minds. I happen to be one too (I think!). I follow the objective laws of my current location and reap great rewards. When those rewards fail to fulfill me, I must look beyond physics for navigation (like most of us do). My confirmation is NE. 'Nothing is, thus Everything transpires as an infinite combination of what would be'.

Popular posts from this blog

E pluribus unum

The original motto of the United States, e pluribus unum -- from many, one -- originally signified the inclusion of 13 separate colonies into one body politic. But it also came to represent the notion that you can come to this country and become a participating citizen, taking on the responsibilities and reaping the benefits. In the 1950s, in response to severe threats playing out on the world stage, we adopted a new motto, In God We Trust . In many ways, this motto's intentions were similar to those of the original -- to unite us around a common purpose in order to prevail against forces seeking to destroy us. It was an understandable but risky choice to adopt the new motto. And now the full extent of that risk is becoming clearer every day. The trends we can see developing around us are making it more obvious than ever that we have to quash the terrifying specter of a government that wields the power of religion.  Power does not respect religion. It only uses it to advance its o

Let's talk about freedom

People talk about freedom all the time, but do they ever really think about what it means to be free? Let's take a couple of examples to use as thought experiments. No one should be surprised when my first thought turns to language. Here's too much linguistic freedom in action: Gukb fsilmpmer splifffdd ..;;, !!! @ WASKKQS&&&&^^^^ zzzzmzmzmllllz( If we want to take advantage of language, we have to obey some rules -- a whole lot of them, many layers of rules. In situations where your native language is being spoken, your ear is finely tuned to detect unbelievably minute departures from normal language sounds. You can detect a non-native speaker a mile away from a slightly mispronounced vowel, or even just a missing glottal stop where you would normally expect it. And don't even get me started on grammar. For every way to get something right, there are 100 ways to get it wrong. And yet, once we learn to work within the rules of the language, we experience a mu